Monday, February 6, 2012

A New Year (better late than never!)


Well, it’s been a while, but I am finally back.
It is now the new year (actually, more than a month into it – where did January go?) and things are starting to go back to normal after the holidays.
Christmas was a quiet one, and in the beginning of this year we had a really lovely holiday at Golden Beach at Caloundra on the sunshine coast.

Both my knitting and my cooking nice foods for lunch went by the wayside while I was busy with summer holiday activities with my boy, but now that he is at school again (Grade 8, first year of high school – eek!) I am getting back into both.

The last few days I have had lunches such as gourmet sausages with vegies, sushi rice with seaweed, shitake mushrooms, miso paste and rice seasoning and satay noodles with vegies.

For the last few months of 2011, my knitting motivation seemed to disappear for some reason.  I hardly knit or crocheted anything and even when I wanted to, I couldn’t decide on anything decent to work on.  Finally, a little over a week before our family Christmas parties, I decided to crochet washcloths and handtowels for my sister and my mother-in-law. Amazingly, I managed to finish 4 washcloths and 2 handtowels in the space of less than two weeks. 

Then in January, my motivation returned in full force and I have been knitting fairly tirelessly since.  I have knitted a cotton bag to put my plastic supermarket bags in and have completed about 1/3 of a shawl made from 2ply lace weight yarn  - so pretty.  I have put that project aside for the moment though, as I realised there are about 4 projects I need to do in February and March, for gifts. As it is already a few days into February, I thought I’d better get a start on them. 

The first gift I need to have done by the beginning of March for my niece Siennas’ first birthday. I had to purchase yarn online for this however, and so while I am waiting for the yarn to arrive, I have started on my niece Sophie’s’ present for her birthday near the end of March – a dress that I can knit out of yarn that I have in my stash.  I did a tension square last night and have cast on today. 

I also wish to knit something special for my sister and soon to be Brother-in-law, as they are moving back to Brisbane at the end of March, very shortly after their wedding in Scotland (where they are living now, and he is from). I would like to make them a wedding present and since it is my sisters’ birthday in early March as well, I would like to make her a small present too. What they will all be remains to be seen, if I get them done in time at all!

It is so hot in Brisbane today that although I have air conditioning in my lounge room, rather than have to pay for using it on such a hot day, I got the jobs I needed to do around the house done early, then have come to the local library to knit and write / play on my computer. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get the public wifi working on my computer, so I am writing this up on Word now, and I will cut and paste it onto my blog later this evening.........
 
Right, home again now, and uploading this post! Hope you have all had a great day (or if on the other side of the world, I hope you have a great day!) Until Next Time! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment