Monday, November 21, 2011

Slacker & Beef Strog.

So, it's been a bit over a week since I last posted. I will admit that I have been a little slack both in updating the blog and creating fancy dinners and lunches. 

For lunches I have mainly been sticking to a simple Thai inspired green salad or toasted cheese and ham sandwiches and on Friday made a chicken Larb (Larb Gai) to share with a friend who came over to help me clean my house a bit.

Today though, I was a bit naughty and bought lunch down at the local shops.  You see, a new seafood store opened down there last week and so I thought I'd try out their fish and chips.  I had whiting fillets, chips & a greek salad and included  either a normal tartre sauce, a seafood sauce or a garlic and herb aioli (sp?).  I went for the garlic and herb - soo yummy. 

For dinners I have been doing our fairly standard dinners of things like spaghetti bolognaise, beef curry made from a curry paste, beef mince nachos and a couple of"make your own" nights. We have also had one takeway of Hungry Jacks and I have had Thai from the Thai place near QSW&FA (Qld Spinners, weavers & Fibre artists) where I am a regular one night a week.

One of the other reasons I have not been so busy in the kitchen is because I am in Queensland Australia. And if you have been watching the weather channel lately or live in QLD yourself, you will know that it has been very hot and humid. I do not cope with heat at the best of times, and so standing in a kitchen over a hot stove or near a hot oven is not the ideal thing to be doing.  This also means that over the summer I will probably not be posting about a lot of cooking - probably more of salads or my other and first passion Yarn and knitting and spinning and things like that.  It was probably a bit silly of me to start a food blog so close to the beginning of summer!

Tonight's dinner was something I haven't done for a long long time, and that was a Beef Stroganoff.  I tend not to make this because the recipe usually calls for sour cream. As I cannot eat sour cream, this makes it difficult to make a proper beef stroganoff. In the past I have done two batches - one for me with a bit of evaporated low fat milk with a touch of vinegar and one for my hubby with sour cream. I have also cheated a little by using the beef stroganoff meal bases found at the local supermarket. They are nice but not great.  

However! I recently was going through my recipe books and found an awesome recipe for Beef Stroganoff that uses yogurt rather than sour cream. As I can have low fat yogurt and especially love greek yogurt I thought I'd give this a go. It was a success - both hubby and son scoffed it down and I really liked it too. :)

The recipe was found in a booklet called EasiYo Yogurt Cookbook that comes with the EasiYo homemade yogurt makers that you can buy from the supermarkets and places like Kmart.  So unfortunately you can only get the cookbook when you buy the yogurt maker and due to copyright laws, I am not going to risk typing up the recipe. If I had changed anything about the recipe, I would let you know, but I have done it all as directed.  So, either buy yourself an EasiYo yogurt maker, or find a friend who has one and still has the little cookbook.  I will admit that I used pre-made store bought yogurt on this occasion as I have not made up any yogurt for a while. I used the Jalna set-in-pot low fat greek yogurt.

So, that is about it for the moment. Talk To Ya Soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment